Friday, September 26, 2008

The Start of My Life in Travel

In a large group meeting with several hundred of my closest colleagues, somebody asked, "How many people here-as kids-wanted to grow up and be a travel agent?" As expected, not many people raised their hands; but I did. I didn't always know it, but travel has always been my calling.

My passion for travel goes all the way back to 1st grade. I was attending a Christian school, and in chapel one Thursday morning we were told, "We have some special guests here today, kids. These folks are missionaries, and they travel all over the world helping people." When I heard that there are people that travel all over the world for a living, my whole outlook changed. At that moment, I was zinged. I felt a burning desire in my gut, and I knew my future was all about travel.

As the years went on, I never had a clear direction for my occupation, but my obsession with travel was there; always. In high school, which I did not enjoy, I managed to drag myself with self-promises that after school, I would travel the world. The mother of one of my sister's friends was a travel agent, and I was always anxious to talk to her; ask her about the travel business. After school, I went through a comprehensive travel school, and that was it; I was on my way. My first job was at a resort wholesaler, but that didn't last long. Frankly, I didn't really undrstand the "wholesaler concept". I decided it was time to take off. For a short while, I did travel; I went to work on a cruise ship. It was a lot of fun at the age of 19, and I go to travel through Canada and to Bermuda. I had a blast.


Landing back on Terra Firma, I got my first job in a travel agency, and that was it; it's been onward and upward ever since. Since my first agency, I dreamed of owning my own agency. Always hungry for knowledge and growth, I experimented by building different segments, trying different forms of marketing, and embracing each development in technology.

Way back when I started in the started, over 20 years ago, agencies generally had three type of agents: Corporate, Leisure, and Outside. While I was always inside-mostly on the leisure side of the coin-I was fascinated with outside agents. I believed that outside agents had the best of everything. I still think that, except today, they're generally no longer outside agents. Today, the name has changed to "Independent" agents. Some call them home-based agents, but I resent that label. I equate independent agents to REALTORS; there are a lot parallels. Would say that someone is a "Home Based REALTOR" , or are they just a REALTOR? Would you say someone is a "Homebased sales rep", or are they just a sales rep? What difference does it make where they work? Independent agents have to be serious and really work to build a business. Just like REALTORS, some succeed, some don't; overall it's an age-old principle-What you get out of it is proportionate to what you put in. Today, Independent agents have the world at their fingertips, and truly have tremendous opportunity.

Technology is amazing. Of course, I can't let any discussion about technology pass without pointing out that the travel industry has always been on the cutting edge of technology, as far back as the early 1960's when the general population had never seen a computer. In any case, technology has been both a boon and a bust for our industry; it is a double-edged sword.

Sure, the internet has forced us to change our business models, and adapt to new ways of conducting business, as many people prefer to book online. Who wouldn't? Booking online gives the consumer instant response, and control-or at least a perception of control, (in reality, travel-related business is never under control). So the internet hit us hard-for a little while. Our industry partners hit us, too-hard! They no longer needed pofessionals representation, when people can online and book themselves. Well, we are a resilient bunch, so we have adapted, and the travel industry is alive and better than ever.

Technology is also our friend. It drives our business engine. Today's technology has allowed us to build a great booking website, plus extend our power across the country. We now have agents working for us from San Diego to Maine and Seattle to Key West.

Travel is a passion like this for a lot of people; it's just that many people don't understand how to make that passion work for them. Many people come into the trave business as a second-or supplemental career. These are folks that are passionate about travel. They have varying levels of experience-some are professional agents that have been in the business for decades, while others want to build a travel business from scratch. To be honest though, this is a crazy, messy business, and you really have to want to succeed to make it work.


This is why I love my job. I am the National Director and VP or Operations for Gulliver's Travels, Inc. We operate a national network of Independent Travel Associates that promote travel and profit by selling travel. Our program allows anyone to join us, start networking in their "Circle of Influence" and build a profitable travel business.

Many programs in our "genre" have been labeled bad because they're "card mills" or MLM's; both of which our industry is entirely intolerant aout. I understand why agents hate these types of business; some of the reasoning is fair and some of is fear. Here at Gulliver's Travels, tough, those old, worn arguments don't stick. We have a different type of business. Our is based on professionlism.

So, how do we do it? How do we create a new business model, and how do we keep or continue to attract talented, motivated, and passionate travel personnel? Well, I believe we have it here at Gulliver's Travels. Here we have a dynamic, advanced website booking engine, and all of the support services that an entrepreneur needs to thrive in today's travel industry.

There are others out there that think they're like us. They tell you to pay, promise you discounted travel and call you a travel agent. Once you're in though, you know what happens; the focus changes. They're not about travel-they're about recruiting. They don't care if an agent sells a single trip to a single passenger; they just want you to bring in your friends, neighbors and relatives. They don't have professional, seasoned agents in a supportive call center, and they don't help you really service travel customers.

Our focus is different. We are all about travel; it's what we love and why we're here. We know our products, and we know our business. We offer programs, packages and specials that people really want. And yes, we actually sell travel.


That's not to say that we don't want new agents; of course we do. And sure, our agents get a referral reward when they sponsor new agents. But our agents know that the ticket to their success in our organization is through promoting and selling travel.

My road in travel started in 1986, and it's been a long and bumpy ride, but today the skies are blue and the horizon is promising. I am very grateful that I am still able to work in the business that I love. Many agencies didn't make it through the hard years, though most of those agents are still out there, looking for a way to keep going. Gulliver's Travels offers a business opportunity that is unmatched in professionalism and support. I hope that I reach those lost agents and show what we can offer. I hope I can reach a new audience, too, of people that love travel and have entrepreneurial spirit in abundance.

If you think you'd enjoy a career in travel, and you're ready to commit to building a business, give us a call, and let's see what we can do together.

When Travel is your passion,
Gulliver's Travels is your
Work-at-home Solution!
(941) 328-6800

Call for Business Opportunity Information or
for Travel Services!

ITA #1153299

www.GulliversUSA.com/1153299

Tell us your read the blog!